Fans of Venus Angelic, the 15-year-old “Living Doll” Youtube sensation, have been complaining in droves. Their reaction is strong enough to instigate me to carry out a follow-up here and on The Times of Malta blog, detailing exactly why I think her parents are mad to allow her to expose herself like this to the cyberworld of weirdos and creeps. Like it isn’t obvious… But first, I pre-empt the obvious complaints:
1. Don’t bother writing in to explain that I’m a moron who is dissing the Gothic Lolita sub-culture. The look was NOT created as an excuse for justifying the exposure of a 15-year-old on Youtube.
2. For all those who insist that there is nothing remotely sexual about Venus Angelic’s videos, I direct them to the image on the left for the overt sexuality and to the video Venus Desu (below) for the subtle sexuality. Same applies to all those who felt the need to enlighten me about how the Gothic Lolita look is based on modesty and how it emphasises a lack of plunging necklines and exposed thighs. It does indeed. I direct you back to the image of the fifteen-year-old with the words CENSORED on her cleavage, the same image that her parents are happy to leave lying around on the web.
3. To those who raised the very valid point that you cannot blame a child if perverts “misuse” the videos: Of course you cannot blame the child. To be more specific, of course I do not blame Venus. I blame the perverts and I blame her parents. The latter’s job is precisely to shield her from such predators. And by “shielding” I do not mean deleting the nasty comments after they come in.
4. I am not criticising the fact that a 15-year-old dresses up as a Gothic Lolita. I am not criticising the fact that a 15-year-old shows off her cleavage. I am not even criticising the 15-year-old. She is 15, for heaven’s sakes, what is there to criticise? I am criticising her parents for actively encouraging that images showing all the above are made accessible to Joe Perv on Youtube.
5. You can read even more ranting, if this wasn’t enough, here on The Times of Malta website. Oh, and further images to illustrate my point, below.
Gothic Lolita, you’re doing it right (Image source here)
Gothic Lolita, You’re doing it wrong – if you’re 15 and you’re on Youtube that is, ‘cos otherwise you can do whatever the hell you like. I don’t think I need to credit this image source, every Tom, Dick & Harry knows where to find it. And by now has.