Venus Angelic: storm in a teacup or…?

Fans of Venus Angelic, the 15-year-old “Living Doll” Youtube sensation, have been complaining in droves. Their reaction is strong enough to instigate me to carry out a follow-up here and on The Times of Malta blog, detailing exactly why I think her parents are mad to allow her to expose herself like this to the cyberworld of weirdos and creeps. Like it isn’t obvious… But first, I pre-empt the obvious complaints:

1. Don’t bother writing in to explain that I’m a moron who is dissing the Gothic Lolita sub-culture. The look was NOT created as an excuse for justifying the exposure of a 15-year-old on Youtube.

2. For all those who insist that there is nothing remotely sexual about Venus Angelic’s videos, I direct them to the image on the left for the overt sexuality and to the video Venus Desu (below) for the subtle sexuality. Same applies to all those who felt the need to enlighten me about how the Gothic Lolita look is based on modesty and how it emphasises a lack of plunging necklines and exposed thighs. It does indeed. I direct you back to the image of the fifteen-year-old with the words CENSORED on her cleavage, the same image that her parents are happy to leave lying around on the web.

3. To those who raised the very valid point that you cannot blame a child if perverts “misuse” the videos: Of course you cannot blame the child. To be more specific, of course I do not blame Venus. I blame the perverts and I blame her parents. The latter’s job is precisely to shield her from such predators. And by “shielding” I do not mean deleting the nasty comments after they come in.

4. I am not criticising the fact that a 15-year-old dresses up as a Gothic Lolita. I am not criticising the fact that a 15-year-old shows off her cleavage. I am not even criticising the 15-year-old. She is 15, for heaven’s sakes, what is there to criticise? I am criticising her parents for actively encouraging that images showing all the above are made accessible to Joe Perv on Youtube.

5. You can read even more ranting, if this wasn’t enough, here on The Times of Malta website. Oh, and further images to illustrate my point, below.

Gothic Lolita, you’re doing it right (Image source here)

Gothic Lolita, You’re doing it wrong – if you’re 15 and you’re on Youtube that is, ‘cos otherwise you can do whatever the hell you like. I don’t think I need to credit this image source, every Tom, Dick & Harry knows where to find it. And by now has.

Comments

1. toyadee says:

I think its sad that u have nothing better to do than to talk bout Venus, there are so many other important topic out there that can be talked about like homelessness, child abuse or whatever, ur worry bout a 15 yr develop girl taking sexy pics, which to me are just photos, she has boobs what u want her to do cut them off, as for as pedophile they gonna like at lil boys and girls dont matter what they dress like theyre sick that way….So Venus likes to dress like a doll and like japanese stuff who cares, I live in California and I seen alot of girls younger than venus showing a lot more….I think the girl is having fun…………

• rebeccainthewoods says:

You don’t seem to have actually read this post Toyadee. The writer specifically said this
      “I am not criticising the fact that a 15-year-old dresses up as a Gothic Lolita. I am not criticising the fact that a 15-year-old shows off her cleavage. I am not even criticising the 15-year-old. She is 15, for heaven’s sakes, what is there to criticise? I am criticising her parents for actively encouraging that images showing all the above are made accessible to Joe Perv on Youtube.”
      And the most logical reply you can think of is “what do you want her to do cut off her boobs”???? Funny, if it weren’t so sad.

2. Amelia Doyle says:

@toyadee. I see you have an opinion there. Seems the blogger has one too. I suppose we’re all entitled to have them. Trick is to listen and then state your own view with some salient points. Cut off boobs? Who said that! You can dress to look beautiful, you can dress to be sexy, but you can also dress to draw all attention around you – it’s not coincidence. I can never understand how if something is done by a lot of people then it must be ok. Are you a smoker?

3. iamwalrus says:

She put herself out on Youtube, she is fair game to criticise. If she doesn’t like the heat she gets out of the kitchen. What did she think that the whole world is made up of simpering 14 yr olds who like her & who cant wait to write how great she is? WRONG, LADY.

4. alanaprie says:

I had to look her up after reading this! Anyone read this link??
    Her mother cant be for real!! Which planet is her mother living in? Does she think the Internet is made up of unicorns and pink fairies? Grow up! And I mean the mother, not the teenager. “An innocent good girl” …. yes that is exactly what the boob photo on her Youtube channel tells me. Her mother should be ashamed.

5. mario says:

Just loving Toyadee’s well-thought out reply.
    Of crs if all the california teens are doing it, must be fine!

6. maddy says:

Just would like to explain that there are two types of Lolita gothic and regular she is regular Lolita

• Amanda says:

I was wondering why no one had pointed this out to our apparently direly misinformed blogger! Are they trying to say perhaps that gothic lolita is the only lolita – forget all those other lolita sub cultures, the effort which goes into producing the fashions, and the creativity and confidence of those at the forefront of the culture. No, no, Venus is just a gothic lolita kid who’s ‘doing it wrong’ and her intended dig at those who think she creates her videos purely for the sexual attention they garner is just another ‘overtly sexual’ image.