Nostalgia: Paceville 20 years ago

A photo of Axis from the early 90s that was recently doing the rounds on the web (thank you Mario Mifsud) brought on a dose of nostalgia so strong I could almost taste it. With everyone in jeans and a queue that went all the way up to the old Footloose, the photo screams of a different era (for a better feel of the ’80s/early ’90s era, check out this video – oops, video removed because apparently people no longer view traffic being sent to their Youtube channel as a good thing – check out comments by video owner Roderick Micallef further down and see if you make any sense of what he is saying cos I sure as hell don’t).  An era when Paceville was somewhat magical. Nowadays I hate the place and everything it’s become, of course. I put this down partly to age and partly to the fact that while 20 years ago it was new and shiny and smelt of adventure, today it smells solely of desperation.

But not between 1988 and 1994ish. Back then the concept of anything like Paceville was so totally new that even just catching the bus there was an adventure in itself. You could go there and just walk around and you would still get your entertainment fix. It is worth pointing out to anyone under the age of 30 who is reading this that if you think Malta is primitive now, in the 80s it would have been classified as a 4th world country. Paceville consisted of some four outlets and countless burger joints and a night out invariably covered these points:
1.  Catching the 18:00 bus from Valletta to Paceville. That’s right, 18:00. We went out when it was still sunny. A bus journey to Paceville had a very particular vibe back then and the party started on the way there, with the bus radio on the top twenty and the driver (who was always the same guy) hitting on the girls. Somehow it wasn’t creepy, maybe because everyone knew each other. Or because that’s how naive we were.
2.  Dashing to Axis to make it in time for the 18:30 laser show. But before that, we had to get past Ernest (the legendary bouncer) and the 2 policeman who stood between us and fun.Yep, that’s right: there used to be two policemen permanently stationed at EVERY bar or club in Paceville. Getting past the law was simple: you just needed to look like you were over 16 and relatively harmless. Ernest presented a much more formidable obstacle, particularly for the guys. If he didn’t like the look of you he would ask for your ID card. Then he would ask you to remove your ear rings. Then he would take a step back, look at you critically and shake his head while everyone in the queue behind you huffed and puffed and called you names. If you went on Ernest’s black list your only hope to make the grade the following week was to find yourself a real or pretend girlfriend. If you had a girl it was a guarantee that you wouldn’t be causing trouble because you would be too busy making out on the sofas upstairs.
Of course, you could bypass all this hassle and pretty much sail in without paying if you were Valletta born and bred, like Ernest. Which I was, luckily. Despite kicking off my Axis residency aged 14 (my parents were under the impression I was at the neo-katekumenali Saturday prayer meetings. Sorry, mum.) I was never once asked to produce an ID card and the officers didn’t even give me a glance as Ernest waved me inside.
3.  Spending the first ten minutes in the loo counting the available cash for the night. We needed Lm1 for a burger and chips from the small place that used to be next to Alley and 45 cents for the Wembley ride back home. The rest (50 cents if I had saved enough during the week) could be spent on a Woodpecker’s cider. If we wanted a second free drink, smiling at the barman usually did the trick. Yes, they were different times indeed.
4.  Heading to our usual spot to catch the laser show. This laser show was a pretty big deal in the 80s and was the biggest selling point for Axis. As soon as it was over I was off to be one of the cool kids who were the first to open the dance floor. Even this was a big deal. If you could face the floor for that first song (and there were only about five of us who could) then you were the undisputed ruler of Axis. Quite a promotion for the nerd of the class (which I also was, by the way). But this was precisely why Axis was so magical. You left your real life outside and for those three hours became whoever you wanted to be. All without having to show your cheeks in a slutty miniskirt.
5. Going out for a breather at about 20:00, right after Radiohead’s Creep came on. This was in the early ’90s obviously and another phenomenon of the days. The DJ would always follow the same timeline for particular songs. I knew that at 19:00 we’d get MC Hammer’s Cant Touch This. Half an hour later it’d be Bette Davis Eyes, followed by Black Velvet. Creep usually cleared the dance floor though I had developed my own particular moves for it. After that, it was burger time.
6. Going back for the last hour before the first session ended. At 22:30 Axis closed its doors for fifteen minutes and chucked everyone out. When it re-opened (to a mostly older crowd) you had to pay a higher entry fee than before, unless you were already stamped from the earlier session. It was only after I turned eighteen that my curfew extended to after ten thirty and I could actually experience the mysteries of “Axis wara l-hdax“. Yes, we had curfews back then.
7. If you actually pulled on the night, somewhere during all the above you made room for a good make out session on the sofas upstairs. This was even before the small dance floor was opened on the first floor and there was just a small bar and rows of sofas overlooking the main dance area. If things got too heavy the guy would get slapped by one of the roaming security guys and told to take things outside. Which usually meant the area at the back of the St George’s Park Hotel.

Different times that are obviously colored by the rose-tinted glasses of nostalgia. Things I miss from those days:
1. Going out at a reasonable hour. I hate having to wait until midnight strikes to go to a party. I get bored, tired and restless waiting until it’s “ok” to go out and end up not bothering most of the time.
2. The innocence. We were all oh so innocent and it had nothing to do with age. Not even the 20 year olds went round looking jaded, let alone the 13 year olds.

Things I don’t miss:
1.The fact that the innocence stemmed mostly from the fact that we had literally never been exposed to anything “fun” or “different” before.
2. The closed village mentality. I can’t say this has disappeared but at least it has been somewhat toned down.
3. The lack of diversity in entertainment options. There was Axis for the cool kids, Styx 1 for the hams, Paul’s Punchbowl for the nerds, Dewdrops  for the more sophisticated souls, Ace of Clubs for the pool playing couples. Period. Not that Paceville today is the Valhalla of diversity but at least there are non-PV options too.
4.  The horrible early 90s fashion. We used to go clubbing IN SHELL-SUIT AND LA GEAR SNEAKERS. Or if you were particularly fashion challenged, you teamed up your shell-suit with smart shoes. If you don’t know what a shell-suit is, count yourself lucky.

What are your favorite PV memories? For more nostalgia pieces click here (a celebration of one of the most iconic Italian TV adverts of all time) and here (for all those of you who miss the classic ’80s cartoons).

Comments

1. Cider from Fredu!!! *sigh*
    Thanks for this :)

2. How could you forget about the man who sold incredible amounts of alcohol to underage kids??

Incidentally, do you remember Venue in Sliema?

• Hahaha I know. He was almost family to all of us! I don’t remember Venue but I started going out circa 1988, was it open?

• Yes definitely. I must be younger than you – I was probably going to Venue in 1994 or something like that. It was decadent and forbidden (at the time) and reeked of wild partying. I’m sure it was pretty innocent in actual fact though. Ah, good times.

3. Istra x’memorji! Thank you for this…..to be fair kull ma dhalt l-Axis darbtejn imma veru kien hemm certu romanticizmu

4. Ros says:

My memories of old PV are those of 12 years ago, where things had started evolving already, but there was still that certain fun factor going on. Those were the days where having a mobile phone indicated you were actually 16 and made for a good ID card replacement. My PV memories back then used to be getting to PV around 8pm, and heading off to Rock Cafe – the old one, obviously. Walking in, you always knew who you would find in which corner. About an hour or so later, there would be a visit to Coconut Grove – rarely ever going inside though. This would be followed by a stop at Fredu’s – acquiring some Trosky vodka – and retracing our steps back to Rock Cafe.

And eventually, making a dash for the 11pm bus.

I was 13 back then. And it was perfectly acceptable for males _and_ females to go out in a band’s t-shirt and jeans. A sight that is rarely ever seen nowadays on the females.

I start feeling old whenever I bump into people who never even knew there was such a place as Rock Cafe.

5. Marsha says:

and what about the hotdog kiosk which was infront of styx 1???? always full up …sure the guy made a fortune from there :-) i miss those times…

• My own favourite was the tiny burger shop near Alley ‘cos the guy was so cute…I wonder what bacame of them all!

• mark bugeja says:

if you re referring to Ashley, which probably is, passed away some few years ago! And then jimmy, can t remember the name of the place!

• Ian Buhagiar says:

that place was called Al Pacino. There was also a restaurant right next door run by the same people. Like Mark (below) said, Ashley (the owner’s son i think) passed away a few years back. Then Jimmy (Moroccan kick boxer dude) took over after working there for countless years. He’s not there any more though.

Remember the Mexican take-away that opened opposite the Alley before they turned it into a night club? And Tony’s Bar in Spinola of course… ah the good old days :)

6. Henry says:

Styx II was for the hams…. May I correct you on that one :) A few months after Axis opened it was taken over by the ‘Rocker Scene’ and there was a role reversal… There were too many fights and most people moved back to Styx II this was back in the Acid House days… and it took some time for Axis to gain back its reputation… with student membership cards :D

• Hehehehe I should add that these were skewed perceptions of a 13/14 yr old. I do remember some “good” fights at Axis it’s true, or rather – outside Axis in the queue. Styx II was when the place lost the hamalla rep, if I remember well!

• Henry says:

Well I’m 40 now I think I was 15 or 16 when axis opened… and If recall correctly it was already Styx II when Axis opened… the Hams were generally @ Vibes heheheeh I still dream about Mr Chips’ burger… down from Wembley, next to the Vine… those were the days :D

7. Justin Camilleri says:

Many thanks for this great read Ramona. Loved the 90s:) I remember like it was 5 mins ago the tunes being played in Axis. Such as 2 unlimited’s Get Ready For This, Dr Alban’s No Coke and Snap’s Oops Up, Cult of Snap and Rythm is a Dancer; great nights never forgotten..especially the Axis laser show and the LA Gear shoes lol

8. Mike says:

No one can forget the legendary Fredu opposite what used to be Roulette. Pints in bottles for 30 cents !

9. Nett says:

And what about the wild rumours of SIN parties going on? At least I think they were rumours, hehe!

• OMG, not rumours! I think it was at around ’92? Put the word SIN in the title & all the teens will flock – and we did!! Not that there was anything particularly sinful about them hahahaha.

• Nett says:

Yeah. The sinful bit was the rumours. The stories people used to tell about what went on at those parties readily brought to mind a pair of infamous biblical cities.

• Joe ‘il-Qoni’ organised those .. as they say, publicity is always good .. at the time they were a new concept for Malta & widely attended. Joe is still on the scene and these days runs Funland, Pjazza Cascata, Estilo etc.. family-friendly stuff, but still does breakfast at 4am to try absorb some of the alcohol :)

• They were a huge hit; I only remember about 4 of them but maybe it’s because I didn’t continue going. And 3 cheers to Estilo for coming to the rescue of teens desperate for a carb-load in present times :)

10. markbiwwa says:

I might not be just as old, but for a time, LA Gear sneakers were THE SHIT!

• Sadly, they were indeed. Much saving of LMs to acquire my white & neon green glittery pair. They were perfectly hideous & glowed like a toxic lighthouse on the dancefloor. WTF was I thinking?

• Reuben G says:

What about Reebok pump???? :)

And then the Air Jordans came on the scene!!! They’re now all RETRO, and you pay twice as much as we did in those days!

Thanks for all these memories Ramona! You didn’t mention the RETRO dancefloor in Axis – the small dancefloor they had upstairs! :)

11. Ambrose Muscat says:

That small bar near Axis was called The Honeycomb and yes it was de rigeur to stop there on the way back to the van home. Great article Ramona, you brought back memories of a “lost decade”!

12. I'm 40 & I know it! says:

If I remember correctly Axis opened when I was in my first year at sixth form… 1988 ! For the opening I remember wearing a decent dress & a kitten heeled ballerinas, because it was being advertised as the poshy place to be and it was sometime before summer (however I stand to be corrected). Otherwise we always used to go out in a shirt, moon-washed jeans, a blazer/pvc leather jackets and desert boots/lumberjacks – thank God for those comfy shoes as we never grumbled of sore toes & balls back then! Addio the slutty boob-enhancing vests, 7-inch mini-skirts & leg-twisting peep toes you see girls in today. We were so modest!
    Before Axis opened we used to go to Styx … do you remember the horrific dark stairs – we weren’t terrified that someone could rape us but we were terrified that a rat would jump out from the tree!
    & before that it was Raffles where I fell in love with Depeche Mode.
    At some point we even went to The Palladium which had a better light show but it could never beat Axis.
    Then back home on Sunny’s van halli fl-ghaxra nkunu gewwa! B’LM2 konna naghmlu festa:
    Bus home/Valletta/Paceville – 16c
    Raffles/Styx/Axis – 50c/Lm1
    Stamped hand to re-enter disco – free of charge
    Coke – 15c
    Sunny’s van – 50c
    Value for money : 100%

• ron says:

I remember Axis opening in 1988… used t go to raffles at that time and I remember one particular sunday when all the people at Rafflles walked down to this newly opened club

13. Kevin Whitehead says:

Mario Mifsud must be DJ Banana !
    And what about Tremors Underground??

14. Stephen Caruana says:

Well guys and girls, I can remember it all, first I`ll wait for my mates at Valletta tritoni Fountain, then the trip to PV and the awesome queue, yes Ernest would tell me to remove my earring before entering with a fake girlfriend, Always heading to the same spot inside, near the box where the good dancers used to be.My favourite songs were, everything starts with an E!, rythem is a dance and I`v got the Power,,what memories ..I had Lm3 to go out 50c for the minibus LM1 for Axis and the rest for a burger and yes Cider!!

• I'm 40 & I know it! says:

we girls used to meet near the mmu stall at 6pm….
      at that time my outing allowance was once every fortnight till 10pm and i NEVER touched alcohol – i was such a nerdy chicken back then… my only treat was a shared coke [minn barra] – a good excuse to be stamped!
      we always managed a good night’s sleep after that – never looked like zombies.
      the only hiccup those days was that you came out from the disco smelling of fags.

15. I remember the place (Axis) as an old grocery store (hanut tal-grocer). Not sure if it was St Geroge’s Store. Used to be run by Maria Abela (RIP). I used to go there with my friend Mario Calleja. In fact, Maria was his aunt.

16. Xemx Mosta says:

Thanks for this artical…. those where the days…. I was an axis resident at age 14… More bars around at that time where, Mont rose, generator, tremors, bamboo, rocfella 8pool,….. my favorite cider from fredu SPECIAL Red, Jimmy tal Burgers….. Than the sunday afternoon parties…. at havava etc… And when ever England used to play….. go to the best bar around to watch an england game…. Draton….
    The old alley with the doubles night at 45c wed and sun…
    Glad to have live those moments

17. mark bugeja says:

hi Ramona, how happy to see something like this going on! those where the days as most say! im 28 years old and remember the late 90′s of the scene although i lived, worked and still working in pv as we call it today! if you have any questions i ll try to remember and answer or gather from friends i know in the scene! keep up the good work!

18. rosen mifsud says:

axis opened when i was doing my olevels!!! x nostalgia!!! thanks for bringing it all back!!!

19. Henry says:

Lol The Honeycomb had the worst wine ever… it was called San Martin… and was served in plastic mineral water bottles…. and one had to be a Saint to drink it and not puke after 10 mins… hheheheheh

20. Henry says:

Anyone had a drink at ‘The Bohemian’? the yellow building in front of Axis… it had opened for only 2 weeks before they closed it down… was quite a cool place… Btw I suggest you write a book… ‘Rajt Paceville Jinbidel’ ;)…. it would make a hit :D

21. Daniel Dimech says:

li insejt tghid li importanti tissejvja it timbru tal axis sa tnejn filoghdu halli turi l iskola kemm int kool…..xi dwejjaq is shell suit kemm kelli hehehehe u mhux la gear biss kien hemm l isprinter il puma imsomma jordache u balla slippers b ilsien daqsiex qisu kelb fix xemx!!! dak tal burgers jismu is subs u b nofs lira kien jaghtik hot dog titma l indja!!

22. Daniel Abdilla says:

I remember these days!! umm.. Sort of..

23. For all fans of Axis, you can join the legendary Axis Group on Face book and post photos + share your experiences…

24. Mario Schembri Wismayer says:

Bloody good read! My only real memories of PV, it springing to vibrant full life a little after my time are BJs, where they had really good jamming sessions and where blues ruled (did I mention that I love the blues…?) Al Cafe’ which stayed open right through the night and where I spent many a night overdosing on coffee and having these really involved conversations with my group. Then there was Styx, which, as far as I remember, was the disco which was eventually replaced by Axis. Could be wrong though…
    During this period another place which competed quite vigorously with Sliema seafront and PV was Bugibba, which sported many discos/nightclubs at the time. Stownes (on Pioneer Road) springs to mind… There were other venues in Bugibba at the time which were very popular. There was a disco within the Topaz Hotel which had quite a large following but I forget the name at the mo’. There was another disco which was called, of all weird names, ‘Black Toe’ disco. This too was embedded in a hotel but I can’t for the life of me remember which one. Think it was in Qawa…

• brimba says:

Here’s one I can associate with and names I recall….Mario ta’ zmieni mid-dehra!! :)

• Xemx Mosta says:

Bugibba was a place to hang out in summer…The name of that place was Black Rose…. It was part of the dolmen hotel next door to the Casino. Now its a bar or lounge. Black Toe was the company renting out the sound. There was JJ disco, Stones with Dj Nemusa playing Sat night,the Bumpin car area…. miricals at the square…. than the best It used to be packed monday nights at waves Mellieha… I think Dj ganni played there..

25. maria whitehead says:

Wow.. this photo was taken in Halloween or carnival… I spotted two witches in axis queue and one male dressed as a devil.

26. nbd028 says:

and what about Vibes – dak zgur tal-hams!

27. I'm 40 & I know it! says:

& Tigulio was tal-pepe’!

28. Tim says:

*Cynic alert*
    Nostalgia’s tinted glasses. I’m in my early 30s and remember many of the stories. But let’s face it, you’re all remembering the good parts of it. I remember the long queues, the shit music, the uselessness of most of the places you’re mentioning, equal number of fights that there are today. Cheaper alcohol is also relative to the cost of living at that time, when you were lucky if you got Lm1 an hour working part-time job.

I had a good time in Paceville, for around 2 years. But let’s face it, objectively it was boring as fuck.

• Oh yes I definitely am remembering only the good bits. There was also the dirt, the bad booze, the bad music, the lack of choice… and I think there were actually more fights back then than there are today. But it took me until the early 90s to get tired of it. In the late ’80s it was all too new for me to find it boring :)

29. Gaggu says:

who remembers zorbas?, (way before roulette) circa 1985, we used to get pissed there for Lm2 :)

30. Alistair gauci says:

HONEYCOMB BURGERS!!!

31. Roderick Micallef says:

After reading this article which in itself is pretty good I can’t agree with the fact that most people seem to highlight only bad things about Paceville, also, most people are saying that at their times Paceville was good but now it’s not!
    Apart from the inevitable progress in buildings and entertainment in general, the only thing that changed is not Paceville as such or what it offers but our ages. We are now older, we are not teenagers any more and therefore we look at things differently. When we were teenagers we used to say ‘if it’s too loud, you’re too old’ and in a way this comment is so true! I spent most of my entertainment teen days roaming around Paceville and I have no regrets what so ever
    When I look at Paceville now I don’t say it’s a desperate place, maybe I just wish to reverse 15years or so out of my age so that I can relive the same experiences with the benefits of today’s much more modern Paceville! As a final note it would have been nice if you (Ramona) gave credit to whoever took that video back in 12th January 1989 (which is actually my father) I was with him and a friend recording the video that was sent to my uncle to Australia (the idea was to show him Malta after 25years he had already left)

• Embedded Youtube links are never credited Roderick :) The credit is inherent because the click takes you straight to the channel of whoever uploaded it, in this case your father.

• Roderick Micallef says:

Really? Too bad they are never credited. With a bit of credit everything would be so much better, it’s like a smile, doesn’t cost you anything but it can mean a lot to others. In a way it’s my fault I didn’t put the video as private in the first place…..

• Hey I don’t want to make anyone unhappy! The fact that I sent traffic to your channel mysteriously seems to have offended you enough to make the video private, so I will remove the link. But do feel free to leave your father’s name here as credit for all those who have already seen it…

• I'm 40 and I know it! says:

roderick please – can you share that video again!
      why keep such a jewel behind closed doors? i really enjoyed watching it & was about to show it to my kids & parents – x’nostalgia!
      u ejja: be a sport!
      i would have taken ramona’s link as a compliment.
      you tube credits the uploader automatically.
      i’m sure your dad won’t complain about that.

32. I will join the others to express thanks for this article. Aside from being a great read it really brought back very fond memories of an era which unfortunately will never return. Ah well, no regrets about anything – life goes on, and it evolves. Maybe PV today doesn’t appeal to all the people who lived its glory era, but then again, possibly there are others who prefer it the way it is today. My opinion is that reading this, and identifying with all the experiences I am so glad I was part of it all. Great fun, and great life for the majority of us who lived through it :) … I hope we’ll be able to write about our current fun voyage and life experiences 20 years from now as well… in the meantime thank you for this nostalgia trip…

33. Joseph Vassallo says:

Hey Ramona! You never disappoint ;-) I read blogs and I usually move on but on this one I had the urge to take a moment and comment. Reading your blog here got me really nostalgic but I smile as I read, reminiscing on those awesome days! My years go back to the early 80′s in Paceville and my early teens. We had the old “Ghall Cafe”. The HUB od Paceville. It was a small tiny and intimate joint where everyone came to hang out late at night to munch on a snack and sip on a cup of coffee after an evening at “Stix” and “Dew Drops”. WOW! WE GO WAY BACK. We were like regulars at church going to ‘Ghall Cafe” in those days. It had a pink interior, looked like “Pina Fini” a place I hung out on La Cienega, in LA back in the 80′s, and the waiters were all dressed in black and hair slicked back. A touch of class for the day. After a brief stop at “Ghall Cafe”, my next stop would most likely be “The Alley” where my best friend worked as a bartender. Then perhaps “DEW DROPS” (forgive my spelling can’t remember how it was spelled) was most probably our next stop in making the rounds. Then most likely off to the old “Stix” (was really small in comparison) or maybe “The Peppermint Park” there in the corner and so on. There is one thing about it though, back then everyone kinda knew everybody who hung out in those areas. I been missing for many years and the last time I went to Paceville was 3 years ago after over a decade. I didn’t recognize anybody and was blown away with the transformation of “Ghall Cafe” and Paceville as a whole. It seemed like a different world. I have to agree with you Ramona, the old days at Paceville were the days! An awesome era seasoned with great music that I still enjoy listening to this very day. Thanks for the memories!! ;-)
    P.S. hey lets not forget pastizzi in Rabat at the wee hours of Sunday morning after a night in Paceville, Stones, or Gampula.

34. clifton gatt says:

Yes very nostalgic.At that time to go in Axis you had to be accompanied by a “girl ” and no earings as otherwise the security at the entrance will turn you away(especially that big guy whose name starts with an E……)I remember quite well that I also once bought a Shirt (mustard with a hood)so as might impress the security and do not give me those ugly looks.Kif jinbidel iz zmien.

35. Trisa says:

What about Crossroads, the Turkish place near Peppermint, Piece of Cake, Going Places, and D’Amici?? hehe….how far back they all go!!

36. kevin mallia says:

i missed so many dates because of Ernest. he hated me. i still avoid him nowadays :). STYX was not for the hamalli. it was just a different crowd with a different mentality. when Ernest used to turn me away styx started to be interesting

37. Still remember dressing up to Alice Cooper’s ‘Poison’ in the background, catch the mini van with my friends and our first visit would be the Eden Bowling. Have a drink there and then off to see the laser show at the Palladium with that famous song ‘White horse by Laid Back’. Then off to Styx because I couldn’t stand wearing a suit or a blazer to go to a club but then I also started to go to Axis after they slacked a bit. Mind you being a guy was a hassle to get in Axis in those early days. First it was only with a suit, than only with a suit jacket and then they began to be less severe at the door, mind you, you still needed to take off earings. I still remember Ernest and the rest of the crew, giving you that look! ;-)

38. charmy says:

memories :) ..axis i remeber nick kamen there :) was around 14 at that time…i remember blacky of studio 54 :) ….me wearing madonna style…full of highlighters bangles :)) ooohh zmien helu :)

39. Graz says:

What about Coconut Grove which was replaced by Burger King? And that guy who used to collect the bottles which while we were drinking in the streets of Paceville.

40. Michelle says:

What memories the comments posted evoke! I used to go to Tigulio but when Axis opened the crowd shifted to bew venue. We used to have a great time at Tigulio inlcuding a sort of line dancing! I remember a couple at the door who used to make us feel real welcome. Never had a problem with getting in since I was already pretty tall agot away with being 13. The laser show was something to look forward to back then and they used to cater for all tastes in music at Axis with genre changing every half hour or so. We used to go to Piece of Cake and Acwe of Clubs to play air-hockey in between. PV has changed so much now. I went there a few weeks ago after some absence and I could have been visiting for the first time. No Rock Cafe in the corner or Clouds or Alley! Though there are some cool clubs playing good music but seeing what became of Axis – a sort of shopping complex – was a blow!

41. joanne Portelli says:

I clearly remember red shoes where in fashion. We used to wear Ton Sur Ton shoes. And guys had to take off earrings cause otherwise they wouldn t be allowed in. Usually someone would line up next to a young lady and ask her if he could go in the disco with her as usually the bodyguards wouldn t stop them at the entrance if they see a couple.

42. Catherine says:

lol.. Ramona what a trip down memory lane you have opened and a pandora’s box of opinions and perceptions.
    I rememebr it all .. the good the bad and the ugly.. but still it was fun and the novelty of it all was what made it. The fights used to be pretty spectacular true, but correct me if I’m wrong it was easier to socialise and people where more open to making friends.. today if you are not part of the “klikka” it is very hard – at least that is what my past students used to say.
    thanks Ramona for this certainly I think we were lucky to be a part of these times.

43. Rosanne says:

Buying a bottle of San Paulo wine from Honey Comb just infornt of Axis!

44. Justin Camilleri says:

For people and fans who used to frequent Styx II religiously I found this video clip on youtube; Enjoy:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEqh150bBVc

45. Justin Camilleri says:

Here is also footage as to how the Eden Palladium (now Eden Cinemas) looked like way back in 1993:) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acAnWI_Fjmc

46. Elly says:

Ramona I really liked your blog I have loads of memories of paceville, does anyone remember a bar called Harliquin (it was adjacent to Ghal Kafe) I passed through a phase going there. Alley was always popular and Coconut Grove was instead of of Burger King today ! loved the old place best !! does anyone remember that big cafeteria adjacent to the BOV in paceville does anyone remember what it was called ? it was quite a modern place and they served alot of pies and fancy milkshakes ! I loved going there !!! today there is an Italian cafeteria i think ! I remember Jimmy and Ashley too ! recently I saw Jimmy !

47. Roderick says:

Don`t forget euphoria disco and also tremors!!

48. jo says:

Wow just read some of the articles. What memories White jeans huge que to be awaited by a mean looking Ernest!!! I got my student card because of AXIS did not know what it was for if not a golden ticket to Axis H@H@

49. Rosetintedspecs says:

Meh – Spoilsport. That video was really a jewel and now it is gone….I still do not understand what there was to take insult for….whoever saw it had good things to say about it…

As for memories of Paceville in the 90′s…..my memory Tremors? :) Seemed like the age difference between the sexes was a steady 15-20 years….and the music always a season or three off….yet the place had an appeal of it’s very own hah

…and how about the tendency towards buying drinks from one place, walking out of the venue with the glass and walking in another venue with your drink in check…..?

50. Melissa says:

my my what a wonderful journey down memory lane, although the memories are still fresh and very much present!! it was the summer of 89 when i started going to paceville, as we called it back then, as opposed to PV!! i agree Axis was going through transition there from a hamalli joint to the poshier place to be!! it was then that Ernest was employed to literally clean out the place. yeah the boys had to remove their earrings and if he didn’t particularly like a guys outfit, he wouldn’t let him in!! we started with sytx and palladium and a couple of months later transferred Axis!! i remember getting my VIP card from Chris after about a year and feeling so proud!! amazing how exciting it was every fri sat and sun!! of course Axis had ta’ qabel l-ghaxra u ta’ wara l-ghaxra, different crowds and age groups…i think i was 15 when my curfew suddenly extended itself drastically…we danced the night away and hardly spent anything, did’nt even have enough money to buy alcohol!!was a lovely time then, although i think my years at the alley were somewhat more memorable!! bon jovi, alice cooper, led zeppelin, doors, rolling stones…a remarkable way to end the week!!every one knew everyone, every clique had their own corner…wish it was still there!! thanks for this ramona

51. Edward says:

I used to get into Axis using my NSTS student card which I had “forged” by rubbing off my year of birth, “1980”, using surgical spirit (the details used to be written on the card in Biro) and replacing it with “1977”… so it must have been 1993 :) This technique was pretty standard at the time :)

52. Edward says:
    • djchrisfunkytown says:

grazzi edward tal comment tieghek fuq is site, sfortunatament kelli hafna ritratti ta clubs imma thassru min dik is site, illum ikolli hafna minnhom fuq fb group funkytown 90′s classics. cu there buddy :)

53. moondustana says:

Those sofas at Axis! They really stank!!! We hung out at Montrose mostly…does anyone remember that? But by that time it wasn’t LA Gear we wore, but DMs….and faded jeans. Viva in 90s. We didn’t have mobiles but we all just knew that everyone would be there, so it was ok to just turn up. Thanks for this post!! :o)

54. Reuben G says:

This blog is SPECTACULAR Ramona….can we please have a follow up, maybe with more pics and videos?

Hope you don’t mind but I’ve copied this onto my facebook for all my friends to enjoy! This is the first time I’ve ever bothered to read ALL the comments, and click on their links too!

Shame that bloke took offence to not mentioning daddy!! Oh well! Hopefully others will be less childish and share their own videos with the rest of us.

Once again…spectacular job running us down memory lane!!!

Might I make a suggestion?–could you get us an interview with this infamous AXIS bouncer that we all seem to remember.. Personally, I chose to try and befriend him and it seems to have worked cos once that happened, it was always: “X’ghadna Ernest!!” -> Always got a nod and in for the laser show!!!! :)

• Anzi thank you for sharing & for your lovely comments :) If I manage to get more info, for sure I will run it! I’ll try to hunt down Ernest hehe. If you make an appeal on FB for anyone who knows where to find him, would really appreciate! Oh BTW I remember the small dancefloor on the first floor. It was REALLY small!!

55. djchrisfunkytown says:

hey guys i read ur comments so im gonna share my 90′s with you, if you love the 90′s make sure you listen to my show on smash radio every saturday night from 7.30 till 10.30pm, it’s all about the 90′s tracks, clubs, movies and more. hope to hear from you by sms or facebook djchris funkytown – sms number 50613888

56. Therese says:

Am currently working on a project and during my research this came up…its bang on to how my saturdays used to be….oh we were so innocent!

Trackbacks

1. [...] you enjoyed my Paceville in the ’80s  and my ’80s cartoons posts, this one’s for you. During my childhood you knew it was [...]

2. [...] ← Nostalgia: Paceville 20 years ago Christmas eve woes: Why men are more difficult to shop for [...]

3. [...] myself remember when “punks” were somewhat scary. As a teenager discovering Paceville in the ‘80s for the first time, I was always fascinated by the older teens sitting on the kerb opposite the [...]

4. [...] nostalgia: update Posted on February 25, 2012 | Leave a comment Those of you who enjoyed my post about Paceville when things were just starting to happen in the late ’80s/early ’90s will remember [...]

5. [...] channel of the Youtube user who uploaded the video by clicking here. For more nostalgia posts see here and [...]