The era of the stick-insect is happily over and voluptuousness is back. And it’s all thanks to the good, old TV set 😉
1. Zooey Deschanel’s New Girl: It’s the latest twenty-minute laugh fest to hit the airwaves. So far I’m on to the third episode and the storyline is pretty hilarious. The good news? It makes dorks looks adorable. You want even better news? At a glance, I’d say that Zooey is no size zero. Girl has hips and she knows how to use them. Girl also have boobs, legs…in short, she’s pretty real. And we’re all rooting for her because those curvy hips looks pretty awesome in the cutesy dresses she wears on set. Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks also achieves the same result in a more sophisticated manner.
2. Reality TV is removing all the gloss: X-Factor, America’s Got Talent, America’s Funniest Home Videos…love it or hate it, reality TV is here to stay. Which means that the protagonist is not some waify fifteen year old who looks as if bread and butter never crossed her lips. It’s us (well, the UK and USA version of us). And we all know what we look like don’t we. Just look at 2009 Britain’s Got Talent sensation Susan Boyle: you won’t catch her trying to fit into skinny jeans, will you? And yet, her talent made her the world’s darling. If she can do it in size 14 (or maybe 16) then hell, so can we.
3. All the small screen skinnies are bitches: well, most of them anyway.Just look at that uber-bitch from Gossip Girl, Blair Waldorf. We love checking out what she’s wearing but we also love hating her. If they’re not bitches, then they’re stupid – hello Penny from Big Bang Theory. We don’t want to bitches now do we? And we certainly don’t want to be stupid either. The only way to avoid being either seems to be sporting a curve or two; ah, the sacrifices a girl has to make…
4. Skinny is reminiscent of the recession: we’ve been hearing about it non-stop. Brussels have even issued a gloomy edict about the downturn the economy’s set to take. And the 99% who are occupying any open space available have bored us to death lecturing us about being on the poverty line. Succumbing to the skinny bitch inside us might mean that we’re mistaken for a hobo; after all, not everyone knows that the carefully distressed, vintage sweater we’re wearing cost half the earth, do they. A couple of curves will quickly dissuade anyone from inviting us to the soup kitchen.
5. Kim Kardashian: This one really needs no explanation. I just love to diss anything the Kardashians stand for – except the curves, of course. I love big butts and I cannot lie; it’s a damn sight easier to achieve a big butt than a pert one that shows to advantage in a micro-mini. And who’s to say that la Kardashian can get away with it but we can’t? Bring on them curves.
This post appeared on The TV Guide (The Times of Malta).
Photo attributes: Christina Hendricks by Rach from Tadcaster, via Wikimedia Commons; Leighton Meester by David Shankbone, via Wikimedia Commons; Kim Kardashian by www.lukeford.net via Wikimedia Commons.